Available Early 2020!
Active Tools have been manufacturing innovative equipment for rowers and coaches since 2002, and advanced rowing electronics since 2007. The ActiveSpeed is a new addition to our range and we worked with numerous people to develop the best possible tool to help you go faster.
The ActiveSpeed gives you all the information you need and allows you to share it live with your coach. It monitors, records, and shares speed (from GPS or wireless impeller), average speed, stroke rate (from the internal accelerometer), stroke count, Check, distance, time and heart rate. You can also program workouts on the unit and download data wirelessly using our DataFlow app.
Custom Backlit Display
To maximise its size we tooled our own display on which you can view two, four or six data fields and quickly configure, and save, screens to suit different activities. You can create up to six screen layouts under each of the headings ‘Training’, ‘Racing’ and Power’.
Each field can be set to show any parameter, or be left blank, and they can all be reversed to highlight key metrics.
- GPS stream compensation feature gives more accurate GPS speed readings on rivers
- Programmable workouts
- GPS data is used to record courses steered
- Download speed and split data to your PC along with GPS course steered data and voice recordings
Both simple and complex workouts can be set up and stored on your ActiveSpeed, and the key features are:
- You can programme both work and rest periods in strokes, distance, or time and you have the option of carrying on recording heart rate during rest periods.
- Workouts can have delayed timing starts both on initial start-up and at the end of rest periods.
- You can set ‘undefined length’ rest periods in workouts to accommodate factors such as river traffic, having to turn, etc.
- Standing start pieces begin when the ActiveSpeed senses the first boat movement. The display then flashes when it sees you ‘wind down’ at the end of a piece, or the end of a race, and if you press the main button within 20 seconds the timer jumps back to the time it saw you wind down.
- You can set up to twenty five custom workouts and six of these can be stored in a smaller Favourite’s menu for easy access.
- You can also specify a target range within workouts for either heart rate, speed or stroke rate and the unit will highlight when you are outside the set range.
Built in Coach Link
When the supplied antennas are fitted data being monitored by a rower’s ActiveSpeed can be displayed on a coach’s unit. It is also possible to link to an additional four ActiveSpeeds, which the coach can then view the data from by pressing a single button.
The transmission range is at least 200 metres, but is generally significantly more.
In the future it will be possible to link multiple ActiveSpeeds to a tablet, using an Active Tools router/data storage unit, so that data from more than one unit can be viewed simultaneously. This will include output from our RapidFit Coaching and Data Oarlocks.
Easy Data Transfer
Our DataFlow app is available for both iOS and Android and allows easy data transfer to RoweRS, Rowsandall, Training Peaks, Strava, Golden Cheetah, etc. This includes both performance data and the tracks of the courses you steered.
You can then review and analyse both your on-water workouts and any land-based ones you have transferred to these sites.
The app also lets you update the firmware on your ActiveSpeed and in the future it will let you see, and analyse, data and force curves from our RapidFit Coaching and Data oarlocks.
All the accessories that work with the ActiveSpeed are wireless.
- Heart Rate Strap, the ActiveSpeed works with most standard Bluetooth heart rate straps.
- Impeller, our Impeller design was optimised using Computational Fluid Dynamics and its drag matches the alternatives that areavailable while being more robust. However, all Impellers create significant drag so we recommend that they are only used for training and are removed for racing.
- Heel Switch, this is an optional accessory that connects between the heel restraint tie points on your shoes and allows rolling start pieces to be timed by simply moving your heels apart. (Patent Nos. US7452252B2 and GB2427591B)
- RapidFit Coaching and Data Oarlocks, when they become available in 2020 it will be possible to pair these to the ActiveSpeed. They can be moved between boats in under a minute and heights can be quickly adjusted using standard clips. Pitches can also be set in the usual way. (Patent Pending)